How To Stay Safe and Cool In Hot Weather
Forecasters are predicting dangerously hot weather for the area this weekend.
Some areas could reach 100 while others will have heat indices over 100. With such temperatures, it is time to review various safety measures and ways to stay cool.
According to the American Red Cross here are several common sense tips to handle the hot temperatures.
- Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water before and during your outdoor activities.
- Take many breaks while working outside, preferably in the shade and cool temperature. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Postpone outdoor activities in the heat of the day, from 10a-5p.
- Check on family, neighbors and the elderly during hot days and offer a cool place to stay if they do not have air condition.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Use a buddy system when working in the excessive heat, this assures someone is always checking on you and you on them.
- Be sure to have shade and cool water available for livestock and pets.
- Consider visiting cool indoor places if you do not have air conditioning including malls, movie theaters, library, and museums.
- Use sunscreen and apply often every 2 hours and use a lotion with SPF 15.
Have fun during the hot and long dog days of summer but play it safe.